Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Addictions [continued]

Around 165 million Americans are addicted to caffeine.

I forgot to mention caffeine addiction statistics in my last post.  Caffeine is a more easily forgotten “drug.” (Yes, it really is a drug.) Well, I am one of those 165 million.

Yesterday, it occurred to me:

Matthew 7:3-5 ”Why do you notice the little piece of dust in your friend’s eye, but you don’t notice the big piece of wood in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your friend, ‘Let me take that little piece of dust out of your eye’?? Look at yourself! You still have that big piece of wood in your own eye. 5 You hypocrite! First, take the wood out of your own eye. Then you will see clearly to take the dust out of your friend’s eye.

I remembered this verse while thinking of a couple people whom I know that have addictions.  While I was thinking of them, I held a big cup of coffee in my hand.

Here’s some things I have learned through various sources such as other people, personal experience, my academic education, research, etc…  It’s rrreeeeal easy to overlook caffeine addiction.  It’s even easy to joke about.  I mean heck, I joke about it myself. [Have yall seen that McDonald's commercial where the guy doesn't respond with more than "I haven't had my coffee yet" until he gets his morning coffee?  Yeah, that's freakishly close to the truth with me.]

Now think about an alcoholic… He/she usually receives a stamp of disapproval from society.  It’s not too funny to joke about.  It’s serious. Same with the smoker, the drug addict, etc.  Hmm…  Have you really done your research and become well-informed/educated on the effects that these substances have on the body?  Most

[Via http://emilyscurls.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment