Monday, January 11, 2010

Gay marriage. It's about time we get over it.

gay marriage

Gay marriage. Once again for the millionth time it’s in the news. But why? Aren’t we over this by now?

Lets look at the arguments.

1. Marriage is sacred. Really? Come on, with all the reality shows where straight people get married, the divorce rate and all those things the idea that heterosexual marriage is sacred and it somehow disgraces it is ridiculous.

2. God is not for it and marriage is based in religion. I’ll be honest and admit I used to think this. BUT, we can not force our religious ideals on others. So when it comes to a pastor doing a gay marriage that is for the pastor and the church body he is a part of to make that call. In other words the individual and than individual group must decide this on their own. We have no right to say others must follow the same religious beliefs or tenants that we do.

3. I (the person saying it) just don’t like gays. (insert your own slur here) This is simple to debunk. Its based only in hate. No real reason for it at all.

4. What else is there? I can’t think of anything.

So what does all this mean? We so often forget that to protect our own rights we have to protect those of others. Even if we don’t agree with them. The key here? As long as it does not hurt anyone, or infringe on some else’s rights. So, do I think it is right to say I can’t pray in public. No. I’m not hurting you. Ignore me, leave me alone, give me basic respect and don’t bother me. And I won’t tell you that you have to pray. You may chose not to. That is fine.

Really this is the same thing. Who is hurt by gay marriage? No one. It should be equal. They should have the same standard of proof and responsibility as straights people. Still have to get divorced if it does not work out, and still get the same benefits as any other straight couple who has taken the proper steps to say “Yes, we love each other and are in a committed relationship with each other.”

I feel there is a big difference between two people living together and two people who are married. By getting married you make it official. You make it harder to just end and harder to just walk away from. You are taking it up to a much more serious level. Any one, gay or straight if they really do love each other should be able to take this public/private/legal step and get married. We can not and should not force consenting adults who are hurting no one, ever, do follow what we think is right, or wrong simple because it is different from our opinion. I don’t want people telling me what I can do in my life and in order to protect my rights I am willing to protect the rights of others. I hope you will too.

[Via http://punkcurmudgeonredux.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment