Friday, September 25, 2009

Jack Straw... talking sense?!

The more I think about this, the harder I find it believe that Jack Straw actually wrote this: Heroin destroys individuals and communities. I mean, he is actually talking sense and he attempts to play down, rather than play up, media reactions to so-called “shooting galleries”.

To read this: “So we need to keep an open mind on alternative approaches (not dismiss them if they don’t fit with the adjective “tough”)” in a Jack Straw blog made me laugh out loud (which was kind of inappropriate as I was in the library at the time).

He mentions research into medicalisation of heroin and says that it resulted in improvements in the health and lifestyles of heroin users. He fails to mention the ’social experiment’ carried out by the Portuguese government in which drugs have been decriminalised since when, the use of drugs in Portugal have declined considerably (I am not implying cause and effect here- just commenting). The day Jack Straw says that drugs should be decriminalised will be the day I know that someone has hacked into his blog account at the Lancashire Telegraph!

No comments:

Post a Comment