Monday, September 7, 2009

Reading and Listening: Pot, Robots, Booze and Girls

As you may have noticed, I haven’t updated for a while. Uni and journalism work is taking up the majority of my brain capacity at the moment. Instead of leaving this blog dormant, I’m going to try and regularly write about two things I love doing: reading books and listening to music. Here are my picks for the moment.

Reading

Dopeland by John Birmingham

Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

Listening

The Girl and the Robot by Royskopp and Robyn

Born Slippy by Underworld

Dopeland

A book which is one third experiences, one third law and historical research and one third ramblings, John Birmingham’s “Dopeland” is an adventure into the taboo world of pot smoking in Australia. Myths are dispelled and there are plenty of surprises to be had. The stereotype of a no-hope slacker with ornamental wizard bongs rarely arises. Instead there are stories of ordinary suburbanites, policemen, politicians, lawyers and yes, writers, enjoying a puff of the ol’ peace pipe. Though it’s just not a book about drugs without obligatory appearances from crazed bong engineers from Amsterdam, dodgy characters from Nimbin and Brisbane uni students.

The history of pot, from ancient Indian myths and Neanderthal ancestors smoking up in caves to modern drug law and culture, is a refreshing read if you’ve only been exposed to “drug education” at high school.



This South Park clip is very similar to how my high school educated us about drugs.

Birmingham has researched everything thoroughly and writes about different cannabis species and the best places to get munchies like one reviews fine wine and restaurants. Lots of fun.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s

I had no interest in the story, based on various snippets I’d seen of the Audrey Hepburn movie adaption. To me, it was just another stock-standard Hollywood romance story with a pretty lady in it. Until I read the back cover at the bookshop. Holly Golightly wasn’t a dull princess like I thought, but “pursued by Mafia gangsters and playboy millionaires”. I felt like I could relate, though maybe if you replaced “Mafia gangsters” with “drug-addled chefs” and “playboy millionaires” with “alcoholics”. Ah, the joys of being a bar chick.

If you’re a gal who’s a bit out of the ordinary, you might find yourself relating to Holly. I’m no stunningly beautiful, classy lady like her, but I too enjoy cats, playing guitar, eating breakfast at silly hours of the morning and occasionally making bad life decisions based on my heart.

I ended up enjoying Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Because we all know a Holly Golightly. She’s that sweet, pretty girl who is aware of her own attraction yet doesn’t fully grasp the power she has over men. I’ve worked with a few girls like this in the pub. They’re the ones who have hordes of regulars gazing starry-eyed at them over the bar and get lots of tips.

The Girl and the Robot

“Fell asleep again in front of MTV / God, I’m down at the bottom / No one’s singing songs for me / I can’t wait for tomorrow”

Click here to watch the video

The song opens with a digitalised choir, reminiscent of the Eurythmic’s “Angel”, but with modern flourishes of house and electro influences. Swedish pop babe Robyn’s sugary sweet vocals disguise the lyrics – the words of a slightly obsessive girlfriend.

At first I took the lyrics metaphorically; the age-old tale of a sad gal who just wants her working “robot” man to come home for some good old fashioned lovin’.

But after watching the video clip, it looks like she really did mean a robot…

Born Slippy

“I just come out of the ship / Talking to the most / Blonde I ever met / Shouting / Lager lager lager lager”

This song popped up in Triple J’s Hottest 100 of all Time and I’ve been a bit obsessed with it ever since. Echoes and ambience seamlessly transforms into a thumping dance track with chaotic drum beats. A drunk or a madman shouts his ramblings about women, drugs and booze.

To me, the song evokes strong imagery of the Valley on a Saturday night – the homeless and the alcoholics, banished to the streets, come into contact with the so-called “civilized” side of society. For a moment, in between wandering from train stations to pubs to cabs to kebab shops, the two sides unite in inebriated madness.

The DJ at work played this song late last Friday night. It is the perfect song to listen to at 4.30 in the morning.

[Via http://elliefreeman.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment